Research shows that 81% of people born between 1980 and 2000 like to sing in the shower, versus only 53% for the rest of the population. Why? Nobody knows. But what’s clear is that getting clean is only part of showering, and for all ages.
Believe it or not, shower statistics is a very active field. More numbers that apply to all people in the U.S.: 50% like to start the day with a shower, and for 60% showering is the only way to feel awake and refreshed. More than 75% of respondents like to brainstorm in the shower, with many claiming to have their best ideas under the running water.
Researchers have speculated that creativity works through an incubation period that eventually leads to a clear idea (1). Maybe the hot water pries open the thinking cage? But, clearly, if you are singing you are not thinking. So perhaps, if you are dealing with something difficult you should sing less and brainstorm more while showering!
From crystallizing thoughts, helping people face the day, and nurturing fantasies of singing careers, shower habits go well beyond personal hygiene. As an addict to long hot showers, I’m not going to tell you to shower less frequently and make it shorter. But, as a skin care company, we have a few reminders and recommendations to avoid the skin damage that may result from the frequent running of hot water over your body:
1. Use gentle moisturizing soaps or body washes. For soaps, we recommend the emu oil soap or the lanolin soaps.
2. For body washes, Manuka honey does an excellent job.
3. Hair and scalp may also suffer, so we recommend our sulfate-free keratin emu oil shampoo, followed by direct application of emu oil to the scalp.
4. Pat your skin with a towel rather than rubbing vigorously, which can cause irritation.
5. You must moisturize your skin after showering. In a hurry, running late, or just being lazy, this is easily neglected. But remember that hot water may strip critical oils from your skin, so moisturizing is critical.
The question is how to make it easy so it gets incorporated into the daily routine. From what our customers tell us moisturizers in pump dispensers are easier to incorporate into the after-shower routine than creams or lotions in tubes or jars. Our favorites are the two On the Lamb Dry Skin pumps and the Wild Ferns Lanolin Lotion. Just take an extra few seconds to apply a moisturizer all over to seal in the moisture and replenish the natural oils that keep your skin healthy.
And what happened to the old soak in the tub for hours bath? It seems to have gone down the drain, together with so many other relaxing and fun things erased by hectic lives. But, baths are still a treat, and the Rotorua Mud Bath is just wonderful. Maybe on a weekend or holiday you’ll find the time to relax in a tub with Rotorua Mud.
So go ahead, enjoy your long showers, but please keep our recommendations in mind.